Skip to main content

"Skinny"



Hello! :)

Today's post is going to be a little different.

I know I usually make fun, fluffy posts with lots of photos and all, but today I think I'm going to do a small chat.

When we did the critique circles in class, my group suggested I do something about body image/confidence. I thought this was a great idea since fashion, confidence, and the body go hand in hand!

Today, I'm going to talk about the word "skinny" and a bit about finding confidence in fashion. I hope this will be something uplifting and that you will take some good away from it.

First, I have grown to really dislike the word "skinny." I don't like how people use it, and I don't like what people have made "skinny" mean. Why has it become the only way we compliment others?

Feel unsure about a dress you're trying? "Don't worry you look so skinny!"

Feel a bit bloated one day at school? "Shut up you always look skinny"

Tell you friends one day at lunch you feel "fat"? "Ugh stop it! You are SO skinny"

We have made "fat" the ultimate evil and "skinny" the ultimate goal. I used be like this too, always telling people they look skinny when they feel insecure, or taking it from other people as if it really made me feel better. Eventually, I realized there are so many people out there who don't fit this "ideal," "skinny" body type, but still absolutely SLAY. I started wondering why we always call each other skinny all the time. Take Lizzo for example. The confidence and energy she radiates is BEAUTIFUL. She doesn't have what everyone considers the "ideal" body type, yet she is absolutely stunning and inspiring.

People get so jealous of others because they wish to look like them. But you can't! Like snowflakes, every body is different. No matter what you do, you can't change the basics of yourself, so you need to learn to work with what you have and love what you have! 

Confidence determines beauty, not size.

We shouldn't expect others to tell us we are skinny or automatically resort to calling others skinny. Honestly, it doesn't make anyone feel better; it only feeds into the idea that there are only a select few body types that are beautiful. And this isn't true! People look their best when they are confident, regardless of their size, be it small, big, short, tall, or anything in between. 

I know it's easier said than done, but I really think we should stop using the word "skinny." Instead, we should call each other beautiful. Say they look amazing in that outfit, or that those jeans fit them perfectly, or that they are working that outfit!

This is also why I love fashion. I think that the first step to feeling good is looking good. Think about it, when you are wearing an outfit that you love, how much better do you feel? This is the first step to confidence.

Wear what makes you feel good, whether it's dresses, pants, sweats, sneakers, heels, piercings, tattoos, or anything. If you feel good when you wear it, wear it. Feel confident in what you wear, don't bring other people down by calling them "skinny," and always be true to yourself and your style.

Ok eveyrone, this concludes today's small chat. Hopefully this made sense and hopefully you can take something good away from this post.

That's all for today!

Bye everyone :)

Comments

  1. I'm so happy that you did this post! With the climate of social media, especially Instagram and TikTok, its really easy to fall into this self-deprecating mindset that's constantly telling you that you aren't pretty enough because you aren't skinny and this is post is SO SO SO important. Thank you for encouraging me and others to wear what we feel best in regardless of our size and appearance, it really means a lot. We definitely need to stop using "skinny" as a compliment without skinny-shaming because all bodies are beautiful. Great post !! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is something I think everyone should hear, because of how real and true it is. Just like you, I have found fashion to be a confidence booster, and made me find myself in a way. I was very skinny around middle school, the unhealthy type, but everyone would say the same things "shut up your skinny" "Why are you SO skinny" And I found myself hating that word so much, if someone told me that, I took it as a insult. I sometimes still do. Body types should never matter, all that matters is what your aura is, and your true intentions. Wonderful post! I think you should do this at least once a month. P.S You nice, Keep going :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post so much. I like how you compared people to snowflakes because we are all unique. I definitely think that many people lose sight of that because of social media and others comparing us to other people like siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am beyond grateful that you wrote this blog. With tikok, instagram, and other social medias taking over with "skinny" people trying to tell us that we have to be that way to be pretty. There are so many other people that aren't "skinny", but they are beyond beautiful. Thank you for this and can't wait for next blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you explained this! I also feel the same, but I've never really been able to put it into words. I do think it's a shame that people are willing to throw away their identities just to look "cool," when it reality it exposes their insecurities instead. Hopefully, as media becomes more diverse, this part of our culture will change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what you say 100%. I feel the words "skinny" and "fat" have been used so much in the wrong way! I've always felt the same way. You really upped my confidence with this post. Thanks so much! Keep up the great work! Can't wait till the next post!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've Learned From My First Semester of College

 Hello! :) As I am writing this, my first semester of college is, sadly, coming to a close in just over a week. Surprisingly, though, I have a lot of free time these days. My friends all live in different dorms and my roommate is currently in quarantine (don't worry, neither of us has corona), so it leaves me with a lot of time to myself.  In between watching K-dramas, scrolling endlessly through TikTok, and having solo dance parties in my dorm, I've thought a lot about my first semester of college. College so far has been both a blessing and a curse. A lot of things have happened to me since I arrived, many of which I've learned some hard lessons from. With that being said, I wanted to share a few of the things I've learned in hopes of inspiring someone who reads this or maybe helping any fellow college freshman realize they are not alone. 1. First, I've learned your problems will not go away in a new place, but a new place can give you a better mindset to deal wit...

OOTW - Spring Edition ❀

❀  ❀  ❀ Hello! :) Today I offer "Outfits of the Week - Spring Edition"! This will consist of spring outfits for school days, which I know this isn't really relevant to the times these days, but maybe we can all just pretend we still have something to dress up for everyday. Usually at this time, the weather is weird and nature can't decide if it still wants to stay in winter or move onto spring (it was literally snowing the other day??). Because of this, choosing outfits is *especially* hard!  So, for this post, I will show some casual, everyday outfits you can wear each day of the week (again, only school days) and some tips on how to transition from a winter to spring wardrobe. Let's begin!  ❀  Monday: We Had Homework? On Mondays, let's be real, no one wants to put any effort into their outfit. Even if you had time the night before to think about what you want to wear, you will probably still choose on the comfier side of things. At school, you're def...

7 Days of BTS pt. 1

Hello! :) Today's post is an  e x c i t i n g  one let me tell you! Well, exciting for me at least, hopefully you guys will enjoy this as much as I did! Ok so, my favorite k-pop group of all time, BTS, has 7 members, so while brainstorming for this blog post I thought WOAH what if I recreate each of their styles on each day of the week? You know how some YouTubers/Influencers/whatever will do "Outfits of the Week"? Well, this is like that! A combination of a celebrity recreation post and an OOTW post. However, because there are so many members of BTS and in order to not make this post longer than the Nile River, I decided to split this post up into two parts. For this first part, Alek (from  Beauty Overload ) and I decided to do a collaboration! She so wonderfully agreed to style, model, and photograph these outfit recreations with me and I helped her out on her blog post for this week, too, so go check it out after you read! Also, if you are unfamiliar with BTS...